This picture- postcard village was settled in 1764 and incorporated in 1779, named in honor of John Hancock, who owned land here, but never visited. The town was once a commercial and farming community, with small textile industries on the Contoocook River, manufacturers of rifles and fowling pieces, and a railroad.
The Hancock Meetinghouse is an architectural landmark. It was erected in 1820 by local builders influenced by Elias Carter and Asher Benjamin. The beautiful spire houses a Revere bell.