Granted in 1737, this town was incorporated in 1760 by New Hampshire and named in honor of Charles Mordaunt, Earl of Peterborough. The town has been a busy commercial center over the years with many industries and a railroad. It is also a cultural hub and home of the famed MacDowell Colony and Peterborough Players Summer Theatre. The first free public library in the nation supported by taxes was established here in 1833.
Recreational and tourist attractions include MacDowell Dam. The village contains a beautiful 1827 brick Unitarian church, and a gray-stone Episcopal church designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Because Thornton Wilder wrote “Our Town” here, the town has often been associated with that idealistic community.
Videos :click on the video title to open the player