Historically an agricultural community with much good farmland, Westmoreland was first granted as No. 2 or “Great Meadows” in 1735 and chartered in 1752, named in honor of Sir John Fane, Earl of Westmoreland. This part of the Connecticut River was a favorite Indian campsite, and the settlers who came beginning in 1741 were several times victims of attack.
There are excellent views of the Connecticut River Valley from this town. Its Park Hill Meeting House, one of the most beautiful churches in New England, was built in 1762, moved to its present imposing site by oxen in 1779 and renovated in 1826.
Westmoreland today is a pleasant suburban community. It is the site of Cheshire County’s correctional facility and Maplewood Nursing Home.